Pillows For Side Sleepers
Importance of Pillows for Side Sleepers
Every individual’s sleeping position varies depending on how comfortable they are. At the same time, there are some injuries that require the person to sleep at a certain position. This is why there are specially designed pillows to help give comfort to the user no matter what position he feels is best to sleep on.
Among the most popular sleeping positions that many are fond of using is sleeping on one’s side. If you are the type who does this too, it is important that you are aware of some important guidelines in order to get a good night’s sleep. Especially if you are using this sleeping position to heal an injury, you will need to look for specialized pillows for side sleepers. This way, you always get a good night’s rest.
What Is the Right Sleeping Position?
Normally, a person’s sleeping position depends on which area he feels most comfortable in. No matter how many times he is corrected of this, he will still return to the position he favors most. However, the most important factor that determines the individual’s sleeping position is how well he can breathe. For instance, people with sleep apnea and those who snore are advised not to sleep on their backs. To help them keep their airways open, they need to sleep on their side.
Additionally, researchers have conducted studies and have determined how sleeping on the left or right can produce different effects. For instance, heartburn symptoms are relieved by sleeping on the left side. On the other hand, sleeping on the right side can worsen the symptoms. Pregnant women are also recommended to sleep on their left side as this helps improve the blood circulation to both the hearts of the mom and her baby.
What Is the Best Sleeping Position?
According to studies, 63% of Americans are side sleepers, while 16% sleep on their stomach and 14% sleep on their backs. If you wish to know what the best sleeping position is, here are some tips that you need to follow:
1. Choose the Right Mattress – Your mattress’ condition plays an important role on how comfortable your sleep position will be. If you are using an old and worn-out mattress, you may sleep on your side so that you can get a comfortable sleep. This is especially true if the mattress already sags in the middle.
2. Take Sides – Even though sleeping on your side is a good position, you have to take turns sleeping on the left and right. You may not be aware of it but you don’t actually stay in one position all night. This is good because if you tend to sleep on just one side, you are not doing any good for your circulation. Another reason why you should take turns switching sides is to help you with certain health issues.
3. Comfortable Matters – It is important to follow what your body is telling you naturally. If you have been used to sleeping on your side for several years, then go with that position. In some cases, changing your natural sleeping position may harm your sleep quality. This is why you should follow what feels comfortable to you. You’ll know that you had a good sleep position because you’ll feel well rested when you awake in the morning.
4. Get the Best Pillows for Side Sleepers – There are specialized pillows intended for those who sleep on their sides. Once you know how important using these are, you will understand why you need to invest in one.
Why You Should Get Bed Pillows for Side Sleepers?
Even though there are a number of people who like sleeping on their side, they do not know about the availability of customized therapeutic pillows for side sleepers. Instead, they make use of the standard rectangular pillow to aid them in sleeping. Unfortunately, these pillows are only comfortable the first few times you use them. Rectangular pillows tend to flatten out and as a result, they are no longer good to use.
In order to prevent this from happening, you should invest some money on pillows for side sleepers because they have been customized to accommodate your weight. Since you are sleeping on one side of your body, all your weight is distributed there. If you are using a standard rectangle pillow, it will flatten out because it is not built to support such weight. On the other hand, using memory foam pillows for side sleepers is the best option.
How to Choose the Best Pillows for Side Sleepers
Now that you understand how important it is for you to use a customized side sleeper pillow, the next step is to go and buy one. You have to keep in mind, though that good quality pillows are usually expensive. This is why you have to be prepared to spend some money in buying a good side sleeper pillow that you can use every night. When you do, you can be assured of a good night’s sleep the moment you close your eyes.
When choosing the right pillow, it is important that you consider the size and material used to make the pillow. Since your weight is distributed on one side of your body, you have to be sure that the pillow you buy can support your weight. This is where choosing the right size and material for the pillow plays a huge role. Additionally, you should go for the pillow that makes you feel most comfortable sleeping on. Here are some tips on how to choose the right side sleeper pillow to buy:
1. If you tend to roll around your bed a lot during your sleep, it is best that you get a larger pillow. Thankfully, there are now a number of wide-sized pillows that you can use for this purpose. Compared to those who sleep on their backs or stomachs, side sleepers usually roll around more. When you get a wider pillow, you are assured that you are still using the pillow even though you are already rolling around a lot.
2. When it comes to choosing the right pillow, you have to examine its firmness. Normally, this information is indicated on the label of the pillow you are planning to buy. Once the pillow has a higher “fill”, it means that it is firm. Choosing the right fill depends on your own preference already.
Whether you are the type to prefer firmer or softer “fill” pillows, you have to be sure that you get one with the right amount. This is so your spine can maintain its straight position even though you are rolling around at night. At the same time, this can help you avoid back and neck pain when you wake up.
3. Test the pillow before you buy it. You can also look for pillows for side sleepers reviews on the internet to help you make the right decision in investing on a therapeutic pillow. When you go to a bedding or furniture store, it is best that you test out the pillow by laying down on it.
Make sure that you rest one side of your face on the pillow. When you do this, you can easily determine whether the pillow is the wrong shape, too soft or too firm, and many more. Also, see to it that you check how your spine and neck lay when you are using the pillow. Testing out the pillow is a great way to be sure that the pillow you buy will be worth it.